Kennedy Health System President and CEO Joseph W. Devine, FACHE, offers his take on how to not just be a good CEO, but a great one.
1. BE A “SERVANT LEADER”: Your organization is not a kingdom, so don’t view yourself as the king, because you cannot positively impact the organization unless you are serving it as well.
2. BE PASSIONATE, ENGAGING and INSPIRING: A great leader must be passionate about their organization, know how to motivate others to be committed to the organization’s mission, vision and values—and be an inspiration, so that people are eager to work with and for you.
3. BE AN EXCELLENT COMMUNICATOR: Communication is the one area where you have no choice but to continue to be at the top of your game. People listen closely to what you say, how you say it, and even your non-verbal language—and they can tell if you’re communicating from the heart or not.
4. BE A TEAM BUILDER: A CEO is only as effective as the team of leaders they work with every day.
5. BE YOURSELF: This is the most important item for me. You need to ensure that your integrity, values and beliefs remain the same and consistent as your role changes. At the end of the day, your job is to do the right thing for the right reasons.
Published (and copyrighted) in South Jersey Biz, Volume 4, Issue 7 (July, 2014).
For more info on South Jersey Biz, click here.
To subscribe to South Jersey Biz, click here.
To advertise in South Jersey Biz, click here.